It’s not quite carnival season yet, but here is a great recipe to hold you over until you can get all of the tasty treats at the carnival including curly fries, cotton candy, funnel cakes, and my FAVORITE corn dogs. I would love to get comments about this recipe and if it is really easy to make 🙂 This recipe was adapted from the website Chef-In-Training.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 1/8 cups milk
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- 2 (16 oz) packages beef hot dogs
- 16 wooden skewers
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, white sugar and baking powder.
- Add milk and egg to the bowl and whisk well.
- Heat oil in a large pot on stovetop until it reaches 350 degrees F.
- While oil is heating, insert wooden skewers into hot dogs.
- Dip/roll skewered hot dog into batter until completely covered.
- Cooking 2-3 corn dogs at a time, cook in oil until golden brown in color, about 3 minutes.
- Set on paper towels once cooked to drain off any excess oil.