I can’t stress enough how important regular dates are for a couple, especially if you have kids. It’s necessary to make dating your spouse/partner a priority so you can reconnect and spend time together not just as “parents”, but as a couple! Life can get busy, and you don’t want to lose that bond in the chaos of raising kids. Lots of couples feel they don’t have the time or it’s too expensive to go on dates, but they don’t have to be expensive, and one date a month is enough to keep the flame alive! We’ve gathered some ideas below for local dates that are $20 or less (per couple). Now get out there and have some fun!
1. Picture Show at Citadel Crossing: Two can see a movie, get popcorn and drinks for under $20! The theater is decent and plays movies that are just a little older than current releases. Get details here.
2. Ice Cream at Rizuto’s: You can get two HUGE (and I mean huge) ice cream cones at Rizuto’s for about $5. It’s a fun place to chill out and chat and their ice cream is great! They’re located just past Doherty High School on Barnes Rd.
3. Saturday Night Roller Skating: Plan a date to Skate City (2 locations in town) and you can both get admission and skate rental for under $20! Nothing quite takes you back to the good ol’ days like roller skating with your boyfriend!
4. Do the Manitou Springs incline: It’s a challenge, but taking your time and enjoying the climb at your own pace can be fun on a beautiful day/evening. Pack a sack lunch and have a picnic at the top to celebrate your accomplishment!
5. Play at the Penny Arcade: After the incline, head over to Manitou Avenue and have fun playing games at the Penny Arcade! They also sell some pretty amazing funnel cake that can’t be beat! You can spend a fun few hours in Manitou and not spend more than $20.
6. Glow Golf: Chapel Hills Mall offers Glow Golf, which is pretty fun (and your shirts look cool too). Adult admission is $8 each. You could possibly splurge and share a candy apple from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory after (my personal fave!)
7. Hike Helen Hunt Falls: It’s free, it’s beautiful, and it’s a fun date! The view from the top is spectacular too!
8. Loonee’s Comedy Corner: Depending on the night you can get in for $6 or $10 each. Groupon also offers regular deals. There is a 2 purchase min. once inside the club, but it’s a fun place to relax and share some laughs with your date!
9. Tour a museum: The Fine Arts Center, Money Museum and Pioneer Museum are all downtown and admission is less than $20 for 2 to get in, and the pioneer museum is actually free!
10. Geocaching: Treasure hunting is quite the adventure! Google “Geocaching Colorado Springs” and a few sites will pop up. They’ll teach you how and where to hunt for little treasures left by other hikers. It’s super fun and will make you feel like a kid again!
11. Take a walk: Old Colorado City is a great place to walk around. Lots of cute little shops and restaurants to pop in to!
12. Visit the Broadmoor grounds: You don’t have to be a guest to enjoy the grounds of the Broadmoor Hotel. Take a walk around the lake and take in the granduer and beauty of this historical landmark! It’s quite romantic!
13. Bowling at Brunswick: Check out Brunswick’s website for their daily specials, you can always find a good deal that will definitely keep you under the $20 range for a game.
14. Ice Skating: Sertich Ice Center has lots of public skate times in their schedule, and prices range anywhere from the $4 – $8 range. Check out their schedule!
15. Sledding and Hot Chocolate: Pack a thermos of your favorite hot cocoa, be kids again and head to one of the top sledding hills in Colorado Springs! Here’s a handy dandy list for you!
16. Tour the Air Force Academy: The Air Force Academy is open to the public and is quite beautiful and interesting to walk around. Also, in the spring and summer check out “Thunderbird Overlook” (easily accessible via the main road from the south gate) and watch the airplanes, gliders, and parachuters. A good time is usually 8-9 AM in the summer.
17. Hike Garden of the Gods: Even if you’ve lived here for a while, it’s fun to play tourist and visit the Visitor’s Center and take an official tour of the park. If that’s not your thing, pack a picnic and walk around at your leisure and take in all the beauty at your own paces!
18. Visit a castle: Feel like a King and Queen for a day, take in some local history and visit either Miramont Castle in Manitou Springs or Glen Eyrie Castle. Each offers tours that are around $20 per couple.
19. Take a Candy tour: Patsy’s Candy offers free factory tours, and then you can indulge afterwards in some of their yumminess! Makes a fun date!
20. Stay in! You don’t always have to leave the house to make it a date. Make chocolate covered strawberries, put the kids to bed, get a cheap bottle of champagne and settle in for a romantic comedy.